Sunday, February 4, 2007

Life in the real world

I have officially been in the "real world" for seven months now. The first month was great, I had a lot of fun moving into my new apartment, reconnecting with my old best friend, laying around doing absolutely nothing and enjoying my time off. The next few months were a bit rocky and a bit downhill. I called it 'the rut,' always trying to tell myself that things will soon get better, i'm just in a rut. A rut of no money, no job, no friends i could really count on. I stayed positive through it all, I somehow found the strength inside of me to keep going, and I'm glad that I did.

A lot has changed since the summer. I now have money, a job, and some great friends that I know i can count on. I'm officially out of 'the rut.' I always knew i would get out of, it was just a matter of time and patience. So, here I am. An adult with a job and real responsibilities. How am I handling it? Pretty well I'd say. It's hard to be given so much responsibility when I haven't really had too much in my life till now. It's hard to feel so young in such and old world. It's hard to stay focused and work hard to get the things I want. It's hard to realize that I don't know it all and I have to learn from the people who do. It's hard to make mistakes when I'm used to making everything perfect. Life is hard, but I think that in the end it will all be worth it. I can't honestly say that I'm 100% happy right now, but i'm also not sad or depressed. I guess I'm just indifferent. I'm lost in a world of confusion and I'm slowly trying to get settled into my new life, while at the same time trying to have fun living in the present rather than the past or future. That's one of my greatest challenges in life. I've always had a hard time "living in the moment," but at least i'm trying. It's time to forget the past, but treasure the memories and remember what I learned. And its time to stop stressing about the future and deal with my life right now. I have so much faith in myself that I will make the right decisions and choices. I've gotten this far, all I need now is patience.. again. I'm out of the rut of no money, but I'm now in a new rut of trying to understand how to be an adult in the real world. Its time to be serious, its time to grow up, and as much as I don't want to, I know that I have to.

Life is challenge, nothing put in front of you is going to be easy, and to be honest I don't know if I would want it that way. When things are hard it only makes it that much more great when you finally get through it all. The bigger the challenge the bigger the reward and the more you can truly appreciate the things, the people, and everything you've worked hard to get in your life. I only have to keep telling myself that to keep myself motivated and staying positive. I know I can do it, I know things will work out, I know my life will be great... actually My life is already great... I'm looking forward to the rest of the real world and the many adventures and challenges that await me.

Life in the real world... So far so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.