Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Changes

So, recently I was hanging out with my friend and we were just chatting away about a million different things. Things about our lives and the past and the experiences that we've been through. One thing came up that completely took my attention. I don't remember how exactly it came up but she was saying how she doesn't really think shes changed all that much since high school. I mean obviously shes changed in the normal ways, you grow up that happens, but all in all shes still the same person. I was so shocked by that comment I didn't even know what to say. I mean I'm not saying its a bad thing at all, it was just shocking to me because when I look back to when I was in high school, I can see how much I've changed in enormous ways. In fact when I look back 6 years ago, I barely recognize that girl.

What makes us change? What makes us think differently? Why do some people change more than others and how does that whole process take place? I don't think that I was completely lost when I was younger, but pretty close to it. I've learned a lot over the years, but i think what I've learned the most is that I still have a lot to learn. I still have a lot more growing up to do and even 10 years from now, I still won't know it all. You have to learn from every experience and every person you meet. I've been through a lot in my life, more than most people will ever know. I keep a lot to myself because re-living those horrible experiences is something I'd rather not do. I know that sometimes its important to get it all out of your system, but that's just not me. Instead I simply look back and realize how it affected me and how I can change from it all to become a better person. I want to look back on my life, not with regrets but with wisdom from what I learned. Every thing that happens teaches you something and every person you meet changes you in some way or another. So, this is what I've learned and how I've changed since high school...
Life is a roller coaster of emotions, there are going to be bad times and there are going to be good times... the best way to get through it all is to simply sit back and enjoy the ride.
Never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted.
Learn something from everyone you meet.
Stay positive.
Don't hold grudges.
Don't burn bridges.
Don't judge others.
Accept everyone for who they are.
Look for the good in everyone, even if it may take a while to find.
Open yourself up to new experiences.
Learn from your mistakes.
Keep an open mind.
Challenge yourself everyday.
I am beautiful. Everyone is beautiful in their own way, and the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder is true"
Everyone is different, its impossible to get a long with everyone.
Being depressed sometimes is more healthy than always trying to be happy.
Own up to your mistakes, and tell the truth, life will be so much easier.
Don't obsess over the past, instead remember what it taught you and move on.
Life is to short to stay angry, so get it out and get over it.
Trust others, but don't let people walk all over you.
If people don't treat you right, walk away from them, there is no need to seek their approval.
Care about other people, but remember to care about yourself.
You have to love yourself before anyone else can love you.
Stand up for yourself, in a classy manor.
It's okay to have flaws, sometimes they are the best thing about a person.
Get out and do things that you enjoy.
Meet new people, accept new people into your life.
You have to work hard to get what you want in life.
Nothing comes easy, so stop waiting and make it happen.
Things will never go as you plan and the best times i've ever had were completely spontaneous.
Keep in touch with your friends, know who your true friends are.
Tell the people that you love, that you love them.
Take chances, you only live once, make it worth while.

"In life God does not give you the people you want. He gives you the people you need; to teach you, to hurt you, to love you, to make you cry, to make you laugh , to make you exactly the person...
t h a t y o u s h o u l d b e. "

Yes, I have changed a lot, but i've also been through a lot. If i came out of all that with nothing to gain or nothing to learn, then i think by now I would be an empty shell. Life throws some crazy things at you and its up to you to decide how to handle them. I found strength inside of of me and came out of everything okay. I feel like I am a better person because of the things I've been through. I'm proud of who I am today because I think I have good values and good beliefs. Some people may not agree with the things I do, say and think, but they don't have to. I think that's the biggest lesson I've learned, is how to have a mind of my own. I never had that before. I was constantly concerned with what other people thought and did that I never knew who I really was. I'm beginning to learn more and more about myself everyday. I'm learning more about the things I enjoy and value for myself rather than other people. Not everyone has to agree with me and I don't have to agree with everyone else. That's what makes us all unique. I've come a long way, and I know that I have a long way to go...

1 comment:

The vagabond teacher said...

I finally read this! I like this one the best, mainly b/c its about me at the top. haha, jk

I might steal the perils of wisdom though.

Lacy :0)