Thursday, February 8, 2007

Studying...

I remember "studying" in college. I remember staying up all hours of the night cramming as much information into my brain that was humanly possible. I remember making acronyms in order to memorize pages and pages of information. I remember spending countless hours in the learning center with my marketing pals quizzing each other and having a good time, trying to lighten the situation. I remember waking up after only 3 hours of sleep to refresh my brain and study more so that I was positive nothing fell out of my head overnight. I also remember taking the test and nailing it. I remember hitting every mark because all of that studying actually paid off and I knew everything. And then I also remember forgetting everything practically a few hours after taking the exam. Well that's what college was. There were too many classes and too much information to retain it all.

Welcome to the real world.... Studying means studying to learn the material and remember it. It means not simply reviewing just to say that you did, but to be able to take that information and repeat it to a customer. Studying means you have to actually pay attention and let the information sink in rather than memorize and forget later. You can't forget this stuff, because its your job to remember. I am slowly starting to get a huge slap in the face that school is over. I'm not doing this "studying" just to get good grades, but I'm doing the studying to make money. To make money for my self, my company, my co-workers. People are actually counting on my to study and remember what I learned and use that information to expand their business.

Today, my boss told me something that really made realize that I need to step it up a notch. I need to stop slacking off and acting like I am still a student with nothing to lose but a bad grade. She told me that I was pretty much one of the only people in the entire company that hired straight out of college. She said that most people they hire will have a few years of sales experience or at least food service experience under their belt, I on the other hand, have none. She told me that I impressed them in my interview because I was able to sell myself. And I now need to learn how to sell their products. I need to study the material they give me so that I am knowledgeable and I know what I am talking about. I know myself, and I know I will be good at this in time, I just need to observe and take things in before I can really get out there. I'm not sure that they want to move at my pace however, I think I need to move a little bit faster, try a little bit harder, and study just a little bit more. Like I always say... Life is a challenge and like my boss said to me, I really need to step it up and prove to everyone that they hired me for a reason. I need to snap into reality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that I think I have figured out how to comment, let's see if I really know what I am doing. I know that this transition into the real world may be off to a slow shaky start but there is no doubt in my mind that you will succeed behyond your wildest dreams, because that is your personality. I wiped your tears and dragged you into the car and sent you off to college kicking and screaming, and after another slow shaky start you transitioned into college life and did fantastic. You're right in that we can learn from our past. Perhaps now you are ready to put all that drive and dermination into your new career and do as good if not better than what they know and I know you can do. I am very proud of you and always will be no what happens. All things happen for a reason, if nothing bad happened in our life than we wouldn't know how to appreciate the good things. I love watching you grow. Love you. Me.

Sara said...

julie! I am so happy you are blogging now, too. I have understood "Studying" since being here "in the real world" too. I study my Japanese not to cram or anything - but so i can USE it. It is more rewarding - so easier to study. I miss making acronyms with you.

Do you remember any?